5/13/07

The Italian Baldwin goes meta

So I was watching this episode of Without a Trace in which Anthony Lapaglia plays dual roles – the standard hero (Jack Malone) and an old man (John Michaels) via an unsettling latex mask.

So Lapaglia as an old man is investigating Lapaglia’s father, who is played, for some reason, by Martin Landau, about whether or not Landau killed Lapaglia’s mother.

Then, at the end of the episode, in a montage set to David Bowie’s “Space Oddity,” Old Lapaglia makes Young Lapaglia say his full name. So he says “John Michael Malone.” And it turns out Old Lapaglia, John Michaels, is what Young Lapaglia will BECOME if he won't "let go" and "reach out to the people close to" him. And then Young Lapaglia says – I’m not kidding – “now I really am Malone,” except he says it “now I really am alone.” Then Young Lapaglia wakes up, and it turns out it was all a dream.

It was maybe the worst thing I’ve ever seen. And I just thought I would share it with you.

No comments: